From Political Scientist
via Chris Lawrence
and Daniel Dresner
. The comments on the Dresner blog are excellent additions to the conversation, and should be read:
The scientific method consists of five steps:
1. Carefully examine the data and take note of any clear-cut patterns therein.
2) For each such pattern, formulate a hypothesis you can test statistically.
3) To avert suspicion, throw in a couple of extra hypotheses that you know are wrong.
4. Using the data from Step 1, tests these hypotheses statistically.
5. Based on the results of Step 4, proclaim that your main hypotheses have been upheld.
, you fascist